Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Time: 10:30 am - 6:00 pm (subject to change)
At the University Center (map)
Theme: Systems & Sustainability (see the flyer, see the video!)
This year’s Focus the Region theme integrates the social, economic and environmental aspects of systems in order to seek a more holistic view of the characteristics of the world in which we live.
See the videos of Focus the Region 2013 on our Focus the Region Videos web page.
*See Monterey Salinas Transit, bike to campus options, and other general information on our main page Focus the Region*
An annual, free, all day teach-in, looking at locally relevant issues and solutions in addressing climate change.
|*Free Vegetarian food*|
*Opportunities for engagement*
*Upcoming Sustainability Activities will be announced*
• Dr. Beryl Levinger is a Distinguished Professor and Program Chair, Public Administration, at the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
• Sim Van der Ryn is a visionary, author, educator, public leader, and internationally distinguished pioneer in ecological design.
• Noël Sturgeon is dean for the Faculty of Environmental Studies, at York University.
Search for the Focus the Region page on Facebook
10:30am - 12:30 pm - Exhibitors (those currently expected are listed below)
11:30am -12:30pm - Free Vegetarian Lunch for first 200 entrants before 12:30 pm
Please consider bringing a cup, plate and utensils in order to reduce waste
12:30 pm - Opening - Dan Fernandez opens the event & welcomes CSUMB President Eduardo Ochoa
12:35 pm - Welcome from President Eduardo Ochoa
12:45 pm - Dan Fernandez - A Systems Primer
1:00 pm - Dr. Beryl Levinger - Expanding the Meaning of Sustainability of Benefits; Organizational
Sustainability; Political and Cultural Sustainability
1:55 pm - Sim Van der Ryn- Empathic Design: Reconnecting to People, Nature & Ourselves
2:50 pm - Dr. Noël Sturgeon - Narratives of Extinction, Climate Justice, and Planetary
Environmental Reproductive Justice
3:45 pm - Group panel of the featured speakers
4:30 pm - Book Signing; Authors’ books will be available for purchase and signing will take place in the University Center Lobby.
4:45 pm - Breakout groups: (see the digital messaging boards, located in the lobby, for room assignments)
- Student panel: Otter be Sustainable: CSUMB students will share their experiences with sustainability on campus and in the community.
- CSUMB Alumni: will feature alumni who will discuss their continued work to create a sustainable Tri-County region.
- Managing Campus Waste: As CSUMB's current waste hauler, GreenWaste Recovery Inc. will discuss their company's cradle-to-cradle recycling philosophy, regional partnerships and their overall sustainability efforts as a company that is 22 times carbon negative. Opportunities for student involvement will also be described.
- Joint Venture Monterey Bay: "A System for Sustainable Regions" will discuss the challenges, benefits, and opportunities associated with addressing sustainability across institutional boundaries.
ELECTRIC VEHICLES on DISPLAY! (in the adjacent parking lot)
EXHIBITORS (currently expected to participate)
Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG)
SOLEX/Applied Solar Energy
The Bike Blender Guy
Central Coast Energy Services (CCES)
Garden Solutions Landscaping
Citizens for a Sustainable Monterey County
CSUMB Bike Center Otter Cycle Shop
Emergency Operations Center & Regional Emergency Resource Center
Monterey Bay Electric Vehicle Alliance
Hartnell College Center of Sustainable Design and Construction
Joint Venture Monterey Bay
LandWatch Monterey County
Marina Coast Water District
Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District (MBUAPCD)
Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program (MBAGBP)
Monterey Regional Waste Management District (MRWMD) (Anaerobic Digestion project)
Monterey Regional Water Pollution Control Agency (MRWPCA)
The Offset Project
Send questions and suggestions to the firstname.lastname@example.org email address!