SAVE THE DATE for FTR 2012!!
Wednesday, March 7, 2012. Focus the Region (see the flier)and
16th Annual Social Justice Colloquium
Time: 11:00 am - 7:00 pm
At the University Center (map)
*See Monterey Salinas Transit, bike to campus options, and other general information on our main page Focus the Region*
An annual, free, all day teach-in, looking at locally relevant issues and solutions in addressing climate change.
*Free vegetarian food*
*Opportunities for engagement*
*Kickoff for Campus Climate Nationals*
Theme: Sustainability and Social Justice (in conjunction with International Women's Day theme of the 16th Social Justice Colloquium)
11:00 am - 1:00 pm Exhibitor Hall and free vegetarian lunch (please RSVP above for lunch and consider bringing a cup, plate and utensils to reduce waste)
- 1:00 pm Opening and Welcome from CSUMB President Dianne Harrison
- 1:20 pm Graciela Tiscareno-Sato (of Gracefully Global Group, LLC) "Latinnovating: How Creative Latino Culture is Sparking the Green Economy"
- 1:55 pm Don Prescott: "Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) – Localizing Energy Purchasing to Support the Regional Economy and the Environment"
- 2:15 pm Panel: "Social impacts of a Zero Waste Goal and the role of different solid waste management practices in our society"
- 3:00 pm Dan Fernandez: "Humanure: Hidden Treasure from Unexpected Places and Its Social Justice Implications"
- 3:30 pm Frank Bardacke: "Farm Work and Justice"
- 4:30 pm Breakout Groups
* Diversity Days Tunnel of Oppression (UC Conference Rooms)
* BikeShare Program with Michael Wallace (UC Living Room)
* Effects of Pesticides on Farm Workers, with attention to women and children:
College of Arts, Humanities & Social Science (Bldg. 46) Room102
* Service Learning, Social Justice, and Sustainability:
Service Learning Institute (Bldg. 45a) Room127
- 5:45 pm Movie: "A Village Called Versailles": Emmy nominated film on Hurricane Katrina and its effects on the Vietnamese communities of New Orleans (UC Living Room)
- 6:45 pm International Women’s Day Panel: Cultivating women’s rights, panel subgroups:
* Women, Work, and Land Group (UC Living Room)
* Women and Media Group (UC Ballroom)
* Women and Health Group (UC Ballroom)
* Women, Education and Culture Group (UC Ballroom)
The following exhibitors are expected at the 2012 forum:
ALBA - The Agriculture and Land-Based Training Association
AMBAG Energy watch, Commute alternatives
Applied Solar Energy/SOLEX/LexSolar
The Bike Blender Guy
Blue Dophin Alliance
CSMC - Communities for Sustainable Monterey County
CSUMB - Otter Cycle Center
Gracefully Global Group
Hartnell College - Sustainable Construction
MBEVA - Monterey Bay Electric Vehicle Alliance
MBUAPCD - Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District
Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program
MRWPCA - Monterey Regional Water Pollution Control Agency
The Offset Project
Pass it on Please
United States Green Building Council
*Winona LaDuke will present “Environmental Justice from an Indigenous Perspective” on Tuesday, March 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom
Highlights from last year's event
More about Focus the Region 2011